23 March 2011

Rise and Shine It's Pilgrimage Time!!

I've been to the Sikh Golden Temple, visited Rishikesh and Haridwar, even totally immersed myself in the Ganges. I've visited the home of the Tibetan Government in Exile, saw His Holiness the Dalai Lama teach.

So what's left for a poor pilgrim to do?

Starting on March 22, I'm off to see Bodhgaya, the site of (a descendant) of the Bodhi tree, under which the Buddha became enlightened, can be found. And while I'm in the area, I'm off to Varanasi (which I must see, as everyone tells me), and Agra (the Taj Mahal...why not).

The bus to Delhi is 12 hours, then wait for a train (when will that be?) which will take me off to Bodhgaya in anywhere from 12-15 hours. Prostrate, Repeat.

This is a bit of a spontaneous trip (okay, an entirely spontaneous trip). After the last two nights of shivering in my sleep, I decided to go where it's warm. Actually, I just sat up in the middle of the night, sleep still in my eyes, freezing, and I thought: must..go...South.

102 degree highs, here I come (40 degree temperature difference in 24 hours? gulp).

Wish me luck.






No comments:

Post a Comment