05 March 2011

Aunty's Recipes


Virali left for home on the morning of the 28th, so Aunty (my hostess, Mrs. Nagpal) and I have been keeping each other company a bit more than usual (collective sadness!). I followed her (a bit like a lost puppy- come back Virali!) as she rushed to the temple to finish a puja before the sun set, and then as she showed a flat to potential renters. That night, we ate Virali's favorite dinner.

Today, she took me to her jewelry maker for a replacement nose stud, a small turquoise piece. Located in a small apartment, the goldsmith's set up was something to see; a knee-high table around which five men sat, making jewelry with small torches and old-fashioned tools.
Gaatar Aloo


In order to save my palate (and impress my friends!) when I get back to the states, I desperately wanted to learn an Indian recipe or two. Luckily for me, I have the most amazing hostess imaginable, who promptly showed me how to make my favorite dish- a small yellow daal which I take a little spicy- and an easy entré.

Daal
Now I'm just waiting for my chance to eat them later tonight! Yum!

The best thing (I think) about Indian cooking is the freedom for creativity. It's not like baking a cake, which can be ruined by imprecise measurements. It's more like creating something custom-made for your palate with ingredients that all seem to go well together. You'll notice (of course) that almost every ingredient says “or to taste” after it. This couldn't be more true!

Also, with most good cooks, there were no measurements involved. Not even a little bit. I put some here to give you a general idea of what you can mix, but Aunty was here and there with a pinch of this and a scoop of that (if you're brave, try to do it her way!).

Almost all of these ingredients should be relatively easy to find and cheap at your local Indian grocery (I recommend going up to Sawmill if you're in Columbus, or Patel Brothers). Oh, and the green chillis- I've only ever heard them called “Thai Green Chillis” or simply “green chillis,” but they're bright green and smaller than a baby carrot.

Bon Appetit!

1. My Favorite Daal!

1 part split moong daal (small, yellow lentil)
3-4 parts water (depending on desired thickness)
½ tsp salt, or to taste

1 tbsp ghee (or oil of choice)
1 tsp tumeric powder, or to taste
1 tsp cumin seed, or to taste
¼ cup onion (finely chopped), or to taste

1-3 tbsp garlic (finely chopped), or to taste
1-3 tbsp ginger (finely chopped/shredded), or to taste
red chili powder, to taste
1-3 tsp garam masala, or to taste
green chillis, to taste

1/3 cup tomato (finely chopped)
fresh coriander or cilantro, to taste


Rinse daal. Mix 1 part split moong daal with 3 to 4 parts water and salt in pressure cooker; cook until first puff/beep. In a pan (medium heat), melt ghee. Add tumeric, cumin seed, and onion; caramelize. Add garlic and ginger, chili powder, garam masala, green chillis; mix. Heat 4-5 minutes. Add tomato. Heat 3-4 minutes. Add coriander or cilantro; turn off heat. Add cooked daal to the mixture. For a thinner consistency, mix in additional hot water.

2. Gaajar Aloo (Literally: Carrot Potato)

1-2 tbsp ghee or oil of choice
1 tbsp cumin seed, or to taste
¼ tsp asafoetida (if desired), or to taste
2 tbsp garlic (finely chopped), or to taste
2 tbsp ginger (finely chopped/shredded), or to taste
½ cup onion (finely chopped), or to taste
green chilli, to taste

½ cup tomato (finely chopped)
red chilli powder, to taste
½ tbsp tumeric
1 tsp salt
½ tbsp garam masala
2 cups of bite-sized vegetable pieces (e.g. carrots, peas, potato, cauliflower)
2 tbsp water

In a lidded pan, melt ghee/oil (medium heat). Add cumin, asafoetida, garlic, ginger, onion, and chili; caramelize. Add tomato, chilli powder, tumeric, salt, garam masala, vegetables, and water. Cover and let cook until vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally.

3/1



No comments:

Post a Comment