20 April 2011

Oh Mcleod 6

April 25: Still going strong (I hope) in Retreat. Just a few more days until I'm reconnected into the world. Let's see how that goes.

Absurdity

1. "Yes"

I'm saying this with the compassion of an English Teacher and the empathy of a second language student: there are some amazing things that come out of people's mouths here. My favorite is "yes." I don't know if this is a uniquely Indian phenomenon, or if it's fairly universal, but just about anytime you say something that a local doesn't understand, they respond with "yes." This is doubly true for questions, as if they are taught to simply respond to any question with "yes."

"Where are you from?"

"Yes."

2. P*ss

Mittsu: Do you like p*ss?
Me: Sorry?
Mittsu: Do you like to eat p*ss?
 *Pause*
Me: P*ss?
Mittsu: Yes
*This goes one for some time*
Me: What do you mean by p*ss?
Mittsu: Like, water.
*Pause*
*Silence as I explain to Mittsu what p*ss means*
* several minutes of giggling then silence*
Mittsu: No. P*ss in water.
*Mittsu digs around in thangkas and unrolls one, showing me*
 Me: Ooooooooohhhhh. *pause* Fish.


A week later, she invites me to a delicious meal of p*ss and yak meat. Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment