14 April 2011

The Final Count: Grad School News

So tomorrow is the final acceptance day for Graduate Programs, but luckily for me I've already chosen the one I want to attend. For those of you who were waiting not-so-close to the edge of your seats, here's the final count for the five graduate programs to which I applied:

Acceptances:
-OSU, Comparative Studies (Full University Fellowship + Stipend and 1 year no-teaching/work duties)
-UCSB, Anthropology (Full Fellowship but with teaching duties)
-UC, Boulder, Anthropology (Admittance letter TODAY. Smaller but decent fellowship, no news about teaching)

Waitlist:
University of Virginia, Anthropology


Rejection:
-University of Michigan, Anthropology (No surprise, this is the best anthro dept in the country, and usually only takes 3-5% of applicants).

Also, I just learned that I received a Fulbright ETA grant, which pays for a year of living and teaching in South Korea.


And....!


I've decided to go back to OSU. Despite my reluctance to stay in the same environment for so long, the Fellowship, faculty, and program are simply too much for me to give up. Plus, the chance of intellectual inbreeding is minimal: OSU is the largest school in the country, and I spent the majority of my time working in Social and Behavioral Sciences as an undergrad (taking approximately four courses in the Comparative Studies Department). So although I'll walk the same roads, I won't take the same paths as before; there's plenty of room for development in this new department.

So come September I will continue  my study of Tibetan culture and Buddhism, slowly working my way toward those three big letters (well, two big letters and a small one): PhD. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment